ESCC want to help East Sussex residents as much as they can over this difficult time, taking into account the health and wellbeing of customers and staff.
They know how greatly library services and their staff are valued by local communities and wanted to let you know about some additional measures we’re taking to support residents and staff:
- We’ve extended all current and new library loans until at least 30 June so you don’t have to worry about overdue library books or other items such as DVDs.
- Until further notice we’re scrapping fines for any items that were due to be returned after 9 March 2020.
- We’re suspending reservation fees until further notice.
- To help people stock up on their reading matter, we’re increasing the number of books both adults and children can borrow to 30.
- We’re buying even more eBooks. Our online offer is amazing and we provide a great range of eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines, as well as access to our online reference library – it’s all available in our eLibrary
- Regrettably, as a precautionary measure we’ve decided to cancel all events in libraries such as rhymetimes, storytimes and code clubs for the foreseeable future. This is because our events involve a larger number of people being in closer contact for a longer period of time than other activities in our libraries.
- In the coming days we’ll be increasing the space between our public computers. This will mean that there will be fewer computers available for you to use, but it enables us to maintain a safer distance between customers and keep you all safer
Please help us to keep you and our staff safe by maintaining a sensible distance from other customers and staff when visiting libraries and by keeping interactions to a minimum. Please remember to regularly wash your hands or use a hand sanitiser.
We’re continuing to ensure that surfaces, door handles, keyboards and other equipment are regularly wiped down.
As a further precautionary measure we would like to ask all of our customers to only use our libraries during the first hour of opening each day if they are:
- aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
- under 70 with a disability, or an underlying health condition (i.e. anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds), as detailed in the government’s guidance
Do not visit the library if you have any of the symptoms, however mild, of coronavirus or if you live with someone who does. You should stay at home in line with NHS guidance.
We will continue to keep the situation under review, taking into account the latest information and we will keep you updated of any further changes to your libraries.
If you have any queries or need any further information, please contact us at www.eastsussex.gov.uk/libraries/form-library-enquiries/.
Please don’t forget that you can renew your library books, search and reserve items and download eBooks and eMagazines from our eLibrary and you can use your library card at any East Sussex Library. You can also renew items using our 24/7 automated renewal line on 0345 60 80 195. Please have your library membership number (on your library card) and your PIN to hand.